The Development and Marketing Coordinator is a full-time position responsible for fundraising events, volunteer management and tracking, external PR and Marketing needs, and collection and distribution of in-kind goods. This position must meet aggressive fundraising goals by participating in speaking at external community engagements and creating communication and marketing materials for social media and other marketing endeavors that promote Welcome House. This role also requires working closely with the women of Welcome House Outreach (WHO). This position performs duties in accordance with Welcome House Core Values, including: Compassion, Advocacy, Integrity, Quality, Leadership and Community.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develops and maintains an agency calendar of events.
• Coordinates invitation mailings and acknowledgment letters.
• Shares responsibility with Director for attendance, sponsorships, auction items, etc. for at least three large special events:
1. Welcome House Outreach Shower
2. Welcome House Outreach Annual Event
3. Mardi Gras for Homeless Children
• Coordinates other smaller events that may benefit Welcome House.
• Serves as liaison to the WHO and Mardi Gras Planning Committee; must be able to attend meetings during evening hours.
• Networks and plans with the WHO, Board of Directors, Development Committee, and community at large to maximize the potential for each event.
2. Volunteers Training, Recruitment & Recognition
• Provides initial orientation for volunteers and ensures ongoing communication to continually evaluate their placement and provide support.
• Communicates with staff to ascertain the agency’s volunteer needs.
• Proactively recruits qualified volunteers for specific positions.
• Arranges appropriate interviews with program contacts, matching the volunteer’s interest/skills with the needs of the agency.
• Coordinates the Volunteer Recognition program, including National Volunteer Week and other activities to demonstrate ongoing support and appreciation for volunteers.
• Coordinates special projects by volunteer groups.
• Develops/updates the volunteer handbook, volunteer job descriptions, and general procedures for the volunteers and agency.
• Manages all volunteers in some capacity and is responsible for tracking all numbers for the end of the year.
3. In-Kind Donations
• Receives donor calls and coordinate receiving and disbursement of all non-cash donations (food, holiday donations, special gifts, hygiene products, etc.)
• Monitors basement storage to utilize items collected and determine specific needs.
• Plans and coordinates holiday gift giving for clients and agency.
• Solicits for non-cash donations to be used for clients and for special events.
• Coordinates all holiday projects for clients, donors, and community members.
4. Public Relations and Marketing
• Assists with regular updates to the Welcome House website with information pertaining to events, volunteers, donation needs, and other news.
• Works with Development Director to establish a timely and appropriate public relations campaign for each event and/or any other media opportunities.
• Represents Welcome House at various public functions/events regarding fundraising public relations, information, etc. as determined by the Development Director.
• Assists in donor cultivation through corporate contacts, speaking engagements, etc.
• Assists in preparing the monthly e-newsletter.
• Aids in updating Welcome House Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages alongside the Director.
• Assists in donor cultivation through volunteer contacts.
• Strategizes large-scale marketing opportunities for Welcome House.
• Works with various Welcome House program directors to implement PR and Marketing Strategy.
• Attends team meetings and regular supervision with the Development Director.
• Other miscellaneous activities relating to special events, in-kind donations, and volunteer recruiting.
• Researches best practices amongst other nonprofit agencies as it relates to Coordinator role.
• Works to increase constituents in Raiser’s Edge and update donor data.
• Conducts research and assists in the grant application process with assistance from Director.
• Creates and implements high-level strategic practices for Welcome House Development Program.
6. Other duties as specified by the Development & Marketing Director.
• Bachelors or equivalent
• 2-5 related work experience
• 2 years and above overall professional experience
• Minimum of two years’ experience in event coordination preferred.
• Experience with Raiser’s Edge software desired.
• Experience with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Various platforms like Constant Contact preferred.
• Some design work preferred, but not required.
• Calm, organized, patient, diplomatic, and confident demeanor in working with staff.
• Ability to demonstrate comfort with public speaking and facilitating group discussions.
• Advanced attention to detail and accuracy in all work.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Outlook, and Excel.
• Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing to a wide range of audiences, including staff, volunteers, donors, service professionals, and external vendors.
• Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners.
• Ability to analyze, develop, and execute
• Problem solving capabilities
• Confidence in decision making
• Ability to manage time and multi-task
• Deadline oriented
• Ability to take on possible supervisory role
• Ability to problem solve and work independently.
Key Performance Indicators
• Understands agency vision/mission and how to achieve agency goals
• Increase knowledge of agency
• Progression to working independently
• Takes advantage of training opportunities
• Meets departmental compliance requirements with supervision
• Ability to complete tasks with little to no supervision
• Progression on taking initiative on expressing ideas/thoughts
• Demonstrates leadership and professionalism
• Meets departmental compliance requirements with very limited supervision
• Takes on leadership roles/staff support
• Proactive regarding ideas, tasks, issues, and overall job
• Takes on leadership role in departmental and cross-functional compliance
• Willingness to work some evenings and weekends.
• Work typically performed in an indoor, 3-floor office building.
Tools and Equipment Used
• Personal computer, copier, fax/scanner, phone, and other typical office equipment.
• Minimal-less than 20% of the time
Physical and Mental Demands
• Frequently required to sit at a desk/workstation for long period of time
• Ability to work at a computer terminal for extended periods of time
• Digital dexterity and hand/eye coordination in operation of office equipment
• Ability to speak to and hear employees/clients via phone or in person
• Body motor skills sufficient to enable incumbent to move between 3 floors
• Additional Mental Requirements: compare, decide, direct, problem solve, analyze, instruct, interpret
• Frequent lifting up to and above 50 pounds: donations
Welcome House is an equal opportunity employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to gender, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other protected class.